Table 5.

Sensitivity of culturing and prevalence of infection at each test site

GroupSiteaNo. of specimensAsmptomaticNo. of specimensSymptomatic
%%
Culture sensitivityPrevalenceCulture sensitivityPrevalence
CulturingOverallCulturingOverall
WomenJHU6775.04.56.020574.312.717.1
LSU135100.00.70.76266.73.24.8
UTMB2450.08.316.711285.75.46.3
IU20590.017.619.527091.211.512.6
UCSF227100.00.90.9236100.02.12.1
TJUH41585.71.41.7234100.01.31.3
All1,07386.24.75.41,11983.96.57.8
MenJHU1407.7b0.79.343985.728.733.5
LSU16460.01.83.03185.738.745.2
UTMB60100.05.05.0100100.033.033.0
IU290100.01.71.751798.130.430.9
UCSF60NAc<1.6<1.618094.49.410.0
All71446.21.73.61,26792.727.229.4
  • a JHU, Johns Hopkins University; LSU, Louisiana State University; UTMB, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston; IU, Indiana University; UCSF, University of California, San Francisco; TJUH, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.

  • b COBAS AMPLICOR exhibited low sensitivity for asymptomatic men at JHU: 69.2% (9 of 13) and 15.4% (2 of 13) for urethral swab and urine specimens, respectively. Excluding JHU data, the overall sensitivities were 84.6% (11 of 13) for culturing and 76.9% (10 of 13) and 69.2% (9 of 13) for COBAS AMPLICOR with urethral swab and urine specimens, respectively.

  • c NA, none of the 60 individuals was infected with N. gonorrhoeae.